Facts that you should know about Liposuction:
- Liposuction is not a surgical treatment to lose weight. Overweight individuals who intend to lose weight should postpone liposuction surgery until they have been able to maintain their weight loss.
- Although that no type of liposuction is a substitute for dieting and exercise, liposuction however, has proven to be an efficient surgical procedure that helps to remove the excess fat from stubborn areas of fat that don’t respond to traditional weight-loss methods including abdomen and hips.
- Nowadays, there are a number of new techniques including Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance (Vaser), the tumescent technique and laser-assisted liposuction treatment devised by American company Cynosure. You should discuss with your Dr Mounir carefully the technique, which would be suitable for you.
- Dr Mounir will ask you not to take any anti-inflammatory medications including aspirin for at least one week before or after surgery, as this may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Patients wishing to have liposuction where a large volume greater than 5000 cc of fat is removed should stay overnight at the hospital for more monitoring because they are at greater risk of complications.
What is the Tumescent Liposuction Technique?
The tumescent technique is a method that can reduce the risk of bleeding after the liposuction and consequently there is always less swelling, bruising and pain post operatively.
Generally speaking any patient who is a suitable for the classical liposuction –so called dry technique– is also a good candidate for the tumescent technique also called wet technique. The technique can be used on any area of the body.
Patients who have large areas of excess fat may also be good candidates for tumescent liposuction technique.
In tumescent liposuction, the tumescent liquid — a dilute solution containing Xylocaine, epinephrine — is injected into the area of the body where the fat is going to be removed. As the liquid fill the fat tissue, which becomes swollen and blanched, the Liposuction is then performed on the tumesced areas.
What is Vaser-Liposuction?
V. A. S. E. R, which stands for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance, is the third-generation ultrasound-assisted Liposuction devise that transmits energy in pulses through a specially designed probe. The advantage of the Vaser probe is its ability to deliver ultrasound energy to melt the fat tissue in the body without damaging other surrounding tissues. The resulting liquefy fat tissue fat is then suctioned out of the body
What is SmartLipo?
In 2006, a company manufacturing medical devises from the United States produced the first laser for tumescent liposuction called SmartLipo. In 2009 SmartLipo got the approval from Food and Drug Administration in the US for medical use. SmartLipo uses a calibrated laser to liquefy fat tissue through the top layers of the patient’s skin. The laser destroys fat cells, and the resulting liquid substance is then sucked through a small incision in the skin.
Although the degree and the amount of anesthesia has been reduced and the blood loss has been minimized, patients undergoing the liposuction procedure still face the same risks and cosmetic complications regardless of the liposuction technique which has been used to remove the excess fat.
There are risks specifically associated with the tumescent technique. These rare complications include:
- Fat embolism syndrome occurs when fat droplets are trapped in the lungs. This is a very rare and may become a fatal complication of suction-assisted Lipectomy.
- Pulmonary complications may occur secondarily to both blood clots (pulmonary emboli and fat emboli) or partial collapse of the lungs after general anaesthesia
- There is a risk that large volumes of fluid containing dilute local anesthetic such as epinephrine and lidocaine that is injected into fatty deposits during Liposuction surgery may contribute to fluid overload or systemic reaction to these medications.
There are risks associated with the use of Vaser liposuction technique include the above mentioned risks and the following specific risks:
- Burns- Ultrasonic energy may produce heat, which could cause burns, and tissue damage either at the location where the cannula is inserted into the skin or in other areas if the cannula touches the undersurface of the skin for prolonged periods of time.
- Cannula Fragmentation- Ultrasonic energy produced within the cannula may cause disintegration (fragmentation) of the surgical instrument.
What about the Anaesthesia?
For many patients, general anaesthesia is the best option. For others, the anaesthetic contained in the solution combined with sedation may provide sufficient comfort during the procedure. However if the treated area is small, then the tumescent solution alone may serve as the sole means of anaesthesia.
What happen after the Liposuction?
Usually, The effects of the anaesthetic solution help to provide pain relief after the liposuction. However some patients may benefit from additional pain medication.
For the first 48 hours after liposuction, inevitably patients do experience swelling in the treated areas, as well as some fluid drainage from the incision sites.
Light activity is usually resumed within the first few days after tumescent liposuction; normal activity can be resumed within a few weeks.
European Society of Aesthetic Surgery
American Academy Of Cosmetic Surgery
Canadian Association for Neuroscience
Request a call back
Special Offer on Breast Augmentation Surgery at the Center for Cosmetic Surgery, Manchester
Thank you for visiting our website. From January 2018, you will get a £ 500 discount if you book your breast augmentation surgery at the center for cosmetic surgery in Manchester with Dr. Abel Mounir, you will get the best implants on the market made by Mentor and are included in the price.
The Consultation is free of charge and will include a very full and frank appraisal of individual’s suitability, as well as review the risks and benefits of the Breast augmentation surgery in general.
We accept credit card and payments. We do not offer unfortunately finance.